Gymnastics is a sport of extremes, combining strength and flexibility meshed with coordination, balance, and proprioception (body awareness in space). The ability to be successful in the sport of gymnastics is based on coaching skill and methodological progression of skills that correlate with the physical attributes of the athlete. When the physical attributes of the athlete are perfected along with expert coaching, the gymnast’s skills progress smoothly. However, when physical impairments exist, compensations occur and result in either lack of progression through the levels or skills, or worse yet, the onset of an injury causing loss of training and progression.
The skill set of an expert physical therapist/manual therapist can identify imbalances of strength, coordination, and flexibility in a gymnast that will complement the gymnast’s safe progression through the sport’s levels and skills. Physical Therapists, experts in movement analysis and body function, are a complement to the coach’s expert eye and skill set, and lend a different perspective of movement optimization.
Our comprehensive gymnastics evaluation assesses the athlete for strength, flexibility, and neuromuscular control imbalances. The examination is based on the level of gymnastics at which athletes compete and focuses on improving performance and preventing injury.
Our evaluation utilizes the following tools:
- Gymnastics Functional Movement Tool – A published and evidence-based assessment tool identifying specific attributes that correlate with skills at individual levels. It is currently used by all Big 10 schools, the Canadian National Team, and the Qatar National team.
- Sportsmetrics Athlete Injury Assessment – An evidence-based screening tool to assess athlete’s risk of developing serious knee injuries (ACL), which is the only evidence-based program proven to both prevent injury and enhance athletic performance. Therapeutic Associates Hillsboro Physical Therapy is a Sportsmetrics certified training site.
- Manual Therapy Specialization – All of our clinicians hold post-graduate fellowship or advanced certifications in manual therapy, allowing detailed advanced assessment, prescriptive exercise, rehabilitation, and injury prevention.
Evaluation and Training Options
- Gymnastics Functional Movement Screen and Sportsmetrics Knee Injury Testing – $160
One-hour session with licensed physical therapist and written report of findings to direct training for performance and injury prevention.
- Sportsmetrics GFMS +Knee Testing and Prescriptive Exercise – $350
One-hour evaluation by physical therapist and prescriptive exercise based on examination with two follow-up training sessions over two to six weeks pending findings and recommendations.
- Injury Rehabilitation – Insurance Billed or Private Pay
Integrating expert manual therapy and gymnastics functional screening models for return to sport and reduced time away from training.
- Group Training – Call For More Information
Sessions with teams for injury prevention and performance.
Timothy Brinker PT, DPT, Clinic Director (full bio)
Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Orthopaedic Physical Therapy
Certification in Orthopedic Manual Therapy
Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists
(father of 2 optional gymnasts)
Jon Ransom PTA, ATC (full bio)
If you are interested in learning more information or scheduling an evaluation or setting up training, please contact us directly by phone or email: