ASTYM™ treatment is a rehabilitation treatment that provides a breakthrough in the way soft tissue injuries are treated. The therapy identifies and treats abnormal soft tissue, tapping into the body’s natural healing process to enable rapid return to activity, free from pain and limitation.
What can ASTYM™ treatment do for you?
- Resolve tough cases, even in chronic situations
- Keep patients in their work, sport, or activity
- Predict results based on an extensive outcomes database
- Enhance your success by helping your patients succeed
Why is ASTYM™ treatment necessary and how does it work?
Adhesions, scar tissue, and other inappropriate fibrosis within soft tissue can result from trauma, surgery, immobilization, repetitive strain, or other stresses. Research has also shown that in many cases of chronic tendinitis, the tissue is not inflamed but is degenerative. Most treatments ignore these soft tissue dysfunctions, and therefore are not effective treating the problems that result from them. The remarkable success of ASTYM treatment is due to the fact that it directly addresses dysfunctional soft tissue, the underlying source of many problems. Scientific research and substantial clinical experience indicate ASTYM treatment improves dysfunctional tissue through the following process:
- A clinician certified in ASTYM™ treatment uses patented instruments to evaluate the tissue, locating dysfunctional soft tissue through the resonance of the instruments.
- The treatment/stimulation from the instruments initiates a healing response. Research indicates that there is an increase in fibroblast recruitment and activation following treatment with ASTYM instruments.
- As the healing process progresses, a customized exercise program is prescribed to encourage optimal tissue healing and collagen remodeling.
- Throughout treatment, patients are encouraged to stay active in their work, sport and daily activities. This facilitates tissue healing in a functional pattern and encourages the tissue to remodel in a way to support the demands of the patient’s activities, which decreases the risk of reinjury.
What’s different about ASTYM™ treatment?
It is effective both as a “first-choice” and “last-resort” treatment
- The treatment often succeeds where other approaches failed.
- The treatment addresses the underlying pathology as well as the site of pain.
- The treatment facilitates tissue turnover and stimulates the remodeling and regeneration of tissue that was scarred, fibrotic or degenerated.
- The treatment jump starts the healing response rather than mediating the inflammatory process.
- The patient remains active during the treatment, which provides the stresses necessary for optimal healing.
It is supported by scientific research, outcomes data and substantial clinical experience
- Through our partnerships with universities, industries, healthcare facilities and other research institutions, significant study of the physiology and the clinical application has been performed.
- These studies guided the development of the treatment and consistently demonstrate the effectiveness of ASTYM™ treatment.
- The extensive outcome database provides specific guidelines for the appropriate number of therapy sessions and probable outcomes for each diagnosis.
- The outcome data may be analyzed by a number of factors, including diagnosis, patient type, comorbidities and much more.
It has high patient compliance
- The patients feel the texture of their dysfunctional tissue and how it improves as they are treated, increasing their understanding of their condition and the rehabilitation process.
- The treatment focus is on patients’ abilities rather than their disabilities.
- The home program typically takes less than 10 minutes each day.
What should I tell the patient?
- ASTYM™ treatment is a form of non-invasive soft tissue therapy that is designed to stimulate your body’s natural healing process. It has the ability to address the underlying problems, not just the symptoms.
- This technique allows you to feel the soft tissue restrictions that may be contributing to your problem and you will notice that as the tissue smoothes out, your pain will decrease and your function will improve.
- ASTYM™ treatment is breaking down the adhesions that form after injury and is stimulating the healing process. Therefore, you may experience some soreness to touch or bruising after treatment. The ASTYM treatment may be somewhat uncomfortable for the first few sessions, but this will improve as treatment progresses.
- To help your body heal effectively, it is important to drink plenty of water each day and follow the stretching program and activity guidelines that you will be given.
Where can a patient go to receive treatment using ASTYM™ treatment?
All of our Therapeutic Associates locations have a certified rehabilitation clinician who can provide ASTYM treatment as a form of treatment. Visit here to find your nearest location.
Diagnoses that respond well to ASTYM treatment:
- Post-surgical scarring
- Post-traumatic fibrosis
- Trigger finger
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Lateral epicondylitis
- Medial epicondylitis
- DeQuervain’s tenosynovitis
- Wrist sprains
- Shoulder pain
- Plantar fasciitis
- Chronic ankle sprains
- Achilles tendinitis
- Shin splints
- Anterior knee pain
- Patellar tendinitis
- Hamstring strains
- IT band syndrome
- Hip pain/trochanteric bursitis
- SI and low back pain
- Most forms of chronic tendinopathies
- Soft tissue changes associated with degenerative arthritis