Would a PT be able to help with pain from a trimalleolar fracture?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email


I am ten days out of surgery for a trimalleolar fracture with displacement, due to severe trauma. One plate, many screws were placed in surgery, and  I am now in a boot with no PT recommended at this point. I have nerve damage, whereby the burning (as if someone threw boiling water on the top of my foot), pressure sensitivity to touch, the boot – everything, as well as stabbing sensations are beyond painful. The pain is a significant 9/10, and pain doesn’t usually bother me. The actual wound site, and break – hardly bother me, it is all peripheral nerve damage pain.

Would a PT be able to help in any way? Is there anything that can be done?


Thank you for reaching out. Without an in-person assessment and details of your case, it is hard to make a specific recommendation.

However, in general most individuals with an injury like yours are referred to a Physical Therapist to help with recovery. Increased sensitivity and nerve irritation can be a common response following a complex injury, and there are various techniques to help address the symptoms and promote the body’s healing processes. Many of these include managing swelling, protecting the area, and following the guidelines outlined by the surgeon. Because the initial stages of bone recovery often require immobilization, it is normal for surgeons to recommend delaying higher level activities until further in the recovery process.

However, there are many hands-on techniques, exercises, and modalities that can be used to help manage symptoms related to nerve injury or swelling. In the early stages of healing, patients are often provided desensitization exercises, such as running Kleenex over the sensitive area. We would recommend having a conversation with your surgeon to discuss expectations, current symptoms, and the possibility of following up with a Physical Therapist to allow for more comprehensive management of your recovery. An in-person evaluation by a Physical Therapist will allow them to better assess your current symptoms and the most appropriate method to manage and reduce them.

To locate a Therapeutic Associates practitioner near you, visit our clinic locator here.


Please note, this reply is for informational purposes only. It’s not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, physical therapist, or other qualified health provider with a medical condition.

Other Q&A You May Be Interested In

Question: My 15 year old son is a catcher for high school baseball team. He has caught 8/10 games so...
Question: Four years ago I sprained my ankle in a misstep off a riser. (My ankle turned inward.) Now I...
Foot & Ankle
Question: I have been having ongoing problems with my right foot for over a year. It started as Plantar Fasciitis,...
Foot & Ankle

Start your journey to pain-free living today.

Our experts are committed to providing effective, efficient, and compassionate care to help you live a pain-free, active life. Our passion is to help every patient reach their goals on their journey to recovery and optimal performance.

Older couple walking outdoors laughing
Daughter on fathers shoulders in open field

How can we help you today?

Ask Our Experts