I have recently been diagnosed with substantial arthritis in my right knee. My insurance is Uniform/Regence (WA retired teacher insurance) secondary. 1st is Medicare.

What type of therapy would you use?

– Patricia



Thank you for your question. Without doing an official evaluation, we are limited in providing specific information regarding your recent diagnosis. However, typically with osteoarthritis we would recommend visiting your local licensed physical therapist who is a musculoskeletal expert trained in assessing your current condition. With a thorough examination a physical therapist is able to determine an appropriate treatment plan specific to your needs. This may include stretching exercises to improve range of motion, strengthening around the knee and hip to provide increased stability around the joint as well as help reduce forces on the joint surfaces, and other hands on manual therapy techniques to help improve joint mobility and quality of soft tissue (muscle, tendons, etc.).

Often times with conservative treatment, such as physical therapy, patients may notice a reduction in pain/swelling and improvements in functional activities including walking, navigating stairs, and even simple movements like getting up out of a chair. Depending on the severity of arthritis, a total knee arthroplasty may be an alternative treatment option if conservative treatment fails. Your Physical Therapist will be able to determine if further examination with an orthopedist would be appropriate regarding this.

In regards to your medical insurance, it would be beneficial to call about your benefits. Some insurance providers require a referral from your physician to be seen by a physical therapist, while others allow direct access. They can also explain what your out of pocket responsibility would look like if any.

**This reply is for informational purposes only. It’s not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, physical therapist, or other qualified health provider with a medical condition.